Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson... R.I.P.






1958-2009







Words could not express the feeling I felt last night as I walked into my home. The first thing that was said to me as I walked up the stairs was "he just died." I knew he was sick, because as I was getting ready to leave work my co-worker informed me that MJ was in cardiac arrest, but never in my greatest imagination did I think Michael Jackson would die. But he is gone.


I held my compusure until my aunt, who I proclaim to be one of the biggest Michael Jackson fans I know came up to me and asked my sister and I how we were handling it. We were sitting in silence up until this moment. Being asked to speak was like being asked to unlock the chamber of your emotions. At that point all I could say was "this is sad" as the well of tears collapsed down my face. I was never one who could contain my tears. I just often reverted to expressing them in private. As a child I had pretty overactive tear ducts which made me tear for no apparent reason. So tears come real easy for me.


I know that Michael lived a long successful, but often controversial, life. And by no means am I trying to glorify his life and forget his bad times, but my hope is that people can look past the negatives and appreciate him for the legacy he is. Yes he was a conflicted man who lacked a childhood and seemingly grew up completely in the limelight, but he is in fact only human. I think that he has paid his dues for any supposed wrongdoing he may have done. I hope everyone can embrace Michael for the King of Pop he is. I don't think some people understand the devastation. They don't understand the success. Michael Jackson was a worldwide icon. WORLD WIDE. Not an American Icon.... someone tried to compare him to Michael Jordan and I listened in disbelief. No comparison whatsoever. People of all colors, shapes and sizes were affected by Michael Jackson's music, and his life. He is an extroadinary musician, song writer, producer dancer- you name it.


I will forever remember this day, remember his life, his music and his soul. What artist do you know who had more passion for their art? When I look back and look at all the music videos and concerts I know that if I could have easily been one of those BLACK OR WHITE girls passing out at his concerts. I loved that the effects he has had on people transgressed all boundaries. He was the FIRST BLACK musician to get his video played on MTV. He bridged all gaps. Michaeal Jackson's Thriller revolutionized the rising art of the Music video. Nobody can do it like Michael did it.

So I take this time now to reminisce solemnly, with tears of joy, tears of sadness as I listen to all his tracks which each affect me differently. My heart goes out to his entire family and especially his children. I know that Janet, Liz Taylor, Quincy Jones and Diana Ross are feeling it especially too. They were some of the closest people in his life, constand defenders of a man of greatness.


So in the time being I will continue to listen to my personal favorites... I'll Be There, Never Can Say Goodbye, and Man in the Mirror. Gone but never forgotten.

No comments: